Monday, December 3, 2012

Chapter Five: The Corninator 2000

Some things in life are simply inevitable.  For example, if you go to a corn maze with your youth group, you will inevitably wind up waging a war among yourselves complete with advanced weaponry, rules of combat, and pun-based catch phrases.

What?  That doesn't happen to you?

I should backtrack slightly.  

In late October, in celebration of the season, we took the youth group to a corn maze put on by CSI (College of Southern Idaho).  It was an absolutely gorgeous fall day in which to enjoy a corn maze.  Clear blue sky.  Crisp air.  Dry corn husks rustling in the slight breeze.  The smell of a fire and grilling taking place somewhere on the horizon. 

When we arrived at the corn maze, I immediately announced to all the kids that we were going to race through the corn maze.  “Older kids versus younger,” I declared, “and the winner gets a pig!”  So as soon as we entered the actual corn maze, the younger kids took off running.  I ran after them long enough to make them sprint around the corner, and then turned back to resume walking with the older youth. 

We meandered through the corn maze, making no special effort to choose a correct path.  (“Ellie, that’s a dead end.”  “No it’s no-wait, yes that is a dead end.”)  We grabbed ears of corn lying on the ground, casually shucking kernels and tossing them into the air.  I twisted a full corn cob off a stalk and began carrying it around.  

“His name is Akbar,” I told the kids.  They didn't get it.

Eventually, despite our shocking lack of effort, we made it to the end of the corn maze.  We peered through the tent marking the finish.  No sign of the younger kids.  In the spirit of the season, we decided to go back into the corn maze and try to find and scare them. 

“Okay guys,” I said, “We have to leave some sort of sign to prove that we made it here first.”  Katie began shelling a pile of kernels onto the ground.  I used two stalks of corn to make the sign of a cross on top of the pile of corn.  “Perfect.”  We headed back into the wild.

I started creeping along the edge of the path, making military hand signals to urge the rest of the group along.  We would creep along the path, come to an intersection, and then stop, listening for any hint that the children were nearby.  This continued for about ten minutes, with several false alarms.  But suddenly…

"They’re coming!  Quick, hide!….shhh…shhh.” 

We did not make it under the cover of the corn stalks in time.  They found us immediately.  But in those brief frantic seconds, where we had run up a row of corn, attempting to quickly hide, I had an idea.  

“Let’s play hide and seek!”  

This suggestion was quickly met with a chorus of approvals.  We laid out the ground rules.  One group would hide while the other group counted to 60.  Once your group was hidden, you couldn't move until you had been spotted.  You could hide anywhere.

Did I mention how big this corn maze was?

The younger kids went first, and although it took a bit of wondering through the corn maze, pausing in the hopes of hearing whispered voices, we eventually found them in the back corner of the maze.  Then it was our turn to hide.  As they started counting, we took off SPRINTING, running not with any real destination in mind, but rather just trying to put as much distance between ourselves and the kids as possible.  

Several twists and turns later, I spotted a tall-looking clump of corn stalks directly ahead.  “Does this look good?” I whispered to Katie, Kayla, and Chani.  They nodded.  We went back a few rows and then darted down one row, winding up in the middle of the thick patch of corn stalks.  Then we squatted down in the dirt and settled in to wait.

We didn't wait very long.  The younger kids found us almost immediately.  They came straight to our hiding spot.  It was like…THEY KNEW EXACTLY WHERE WE WERE HIDING.  

Khrista, one of the youth group leaders, informed me that this was exactly the case.  That the younger kids had followed along behind us when they were supposed to be counting, waited until they saw exactly where we hid, and then came and “found” us. 

Blast. 

The thing I was most angry about was that none of us had noticed what must have been an only too obvious trail of younger kids following along behind us.  Nonetheless, I knew that we must have our revenge!

And thus was born the Corninator 2000.

It started out simply enough.  The younger kids had run off and I was standing around with the older kids, absently shucking corn.  An idle thought popped into my head.

“Hey, you guys, what if we each took a handful of corn kernels and found the younger kids and made it rain corn on their heads?” 

Enthusiastic head nods and smiles. 

We started gathering up kernels.  Then I looked around.  

“Hey, you guys, what if we took an empty corn husk and filled it with corn kernels, and then we’d have a much larger amount of corn kernels to rain on the younger kids heads?” 

*Very* enthusiastic head nods and smiles. 

We started our production line.  Everybody took a husk of corn, twisted the corn cob out of the husk, and then began shelling the corn cob and filling up the now empty husk.  As we filled, we worked on our catch phrase. 

“Okay,” I said, “We need to have something to yell when we meet the younger kids, so that they know that we mean business.  Also, it needs to be a pun.”  The kids started throwing out corn-related words that could potentially be made into puns.  Maize, corny, husk, kernel- 

“Wait, that’s it!” I said, “Kernel.  We can say something like, ‘Kernel Corn says hello!’”  

Katie burst out laughing.  Everyone else did too.  And, catch phrase secure, we renewed the filling of our Corninator 2000s. 

Before too long our Corninator 2000s were packed to bursting.  We gathered up the top of the stalks and began looking for our prey.  I explained that as members of the Corn army, we had to stroll casually everywhere we went, Corninator 2000s held primly behind our backs.  And to add authenticity, we should speak with British accents.  This led to some interesting encounters with the other people in the corn maze.   

“Excuse us,” we would say, when we crossed paths, holding back giggles and Corninator 2000s, “Enjoy your night,” we would end with, before casually strolling away from the innocent parties. 

Finally, after much casual strolling and British speak…we found them.  

“It's them!” Chani exclaimed.  We grouped up.  

One of the younger kids rounded the corner.  She stopped when she saw us.  “There you are!” she exclaimed.  Her eyes narrowed.  “What are you doing?”
 
“Nothing,” we said in our British accents, facing her while slowly walking backwards.  She started stepping towards us.  The rest of the younger kids rounded the corner.  We kept stepping backwards, luring them towards us.  I took a deep breath.  “One, two, three…” 

“KERNAL CORN SAYS HELLO!” we all shouted in unison, and then…

We made it rain corn.  

"I went in a corn field today and met Akbar."
-Julian Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment