Do you ever feel like there is so much happening in your
life, that when you try to talk about it, you can’t compress it all down enough
to fit into mere sentences?
That’s kind of how I feel right now.
So many new things.
A new town.
Eden. Well, really two new towns as Hazelton is only a few miles from Eden, and right now I’m actually living in
Hazelton. Small towns surrounded by
miles and miles of farms. Lots of farmers
in the community as well as lots of migrant workers. A very large Hispanic population. Getting anywhere takes forever because
nothing is close to anything else. It
takes 15 minutes for me to get from my house to the church. 30 minutes to get from Eden to the nearest
city, Twin Falls. 10 minutes to get from
my house into Hazelton and Eden proper.
I’m using a lot more gas than I’m used to! But people wave at you when you pass them on
the road, even if they don’t know you.
 |
| Lots of wide skies and open roads. |
A new house. Jerry and
Evelyn, a couple from the church, are very graciously sharing their heart and
home with me until I can find a place to live in Eden/Hazelton. They live in an old farmhouse with a field
right next to it full of cows and a canal in the back of it full of carp. (Okay, probably not full, I haven’t even gone
fishing in it, but Jerry says there’s probably some carp in there.) Jerry is a Packer fan and likes to play the
guitar. Needless to say, we get along
well together. Evelyn is the kind of
person who makes you feel right at home.
She says I’m one of her kids now.
The cows get out a lot.
And when they do they like to moo.
 |
| I expected to wake up one morning with a cow starting at my face. |
Also part of the family are Squeakers and Shorty, their two
dogs.
 |
| Squeakers looking much calmer than she normally does. She also is never inside the house. |
 |
| Shorty, with his usual look of patient suffering as Squeakers is a derp behind him. |
Squeakers is the puppy; she’s a mix of various kinds of
breeds, and Shorty is a very old Australian Shepherd with bad hips. Shortly doesn't like Squeakers, and is constantly
trying to herd her away from me.
Squeakers likes nothing more than to jump up on you and give you lots of
kisses; she will get as close to you as possible when you pet her. They are both fulfilling the dog-shaped void
in my life for which I am very grateful.
Jerry and Evelyn also have three cats, all tabby’s, who are
semi-friendly but I have only been able to pet one of them because they are
somewhat shy. I did get to watch one of
them take a mouse that she had killed and play with it in front of the
window. That was…educational.
 |
| They like to curl up on an old blanket in the back of a pick up truck in the garage. |
Evelyn and Jerry have an old barn/garage that is full of a lot of
cool stuff. Like bicycles. And hand grenades.
 |
| Check out that sweet banana seat! |
 |
| TAKE COVER! |
In all seriousness, though, Evelyn and Jerry have been the
most amazing blessings I could have imagined.
They have taken me in, and treated me like one of their own at a time
when I definitely needed it. They have made me feel at home. For that they have my tremendous
gratitude.
So, new town, new house, and also…new church.
Trinity Lutheran Church, in Eden, ID, is a small church. On average about 100 people worship there on Sundays. The youth group has 5 kids. The sunday school has two classes. Most of the congregation are 3rd or 4th generation members, with their grandparents and great-grandparents having started the church.
Despite all this, however, Trinity doesn't *feel* like a small church. It has a gym with hardwood floors, which is pretty sweet. It has a playground outside that has teeter totters, a merry-go-round, a metal slide, and a tube that you can roll people in. It has a ministry called King's Kids, which meets on Wednesday nights, and ministers to over 60 kids each week, most of them Hispanic children whose parents work on the farms. It has a worship team. (It only consists of guitar and piano, but still, it's a worship team!) The members help with a thrift store in Hazelton. They run a soup kitchen during the winter.
Big things are happening in a small place.
I have a nice room as an office, although I share it with various other groups on Sundays and Wednesdays. Evelyn and Jerry bought me a new desk and chair, and all in all it is a pretty sweet set-up.
 |
| What it looks like when I'm working. |
So that, in short, is a small glimpse into my new life. I'm leaving out about 500 million things. I have seen more new sights, met more new people, and tried more new things than I think I have in the last 10 years of my life. Every day is a learning process, but I'm slowly getting there, and who knows what tomorrow will bring?
Vincent (Gattaca): "I was never more certain of how far away from my goal than when I was standing right beside it."
No comments:
Post a Comment